Stat Counter

Thursday, January 28, 2010

Portraits - A Strange Experience

It is a strange experience painting a portrait.  There is something about bringing life to an inanimate object with just a brush and some paint that seems almost magical. Portraits at least for me take the most time but are the most rewarding.  Photos with time fade with age as does our memories but a painted portrait has the potential to outlive us and that is a powerful thing.  I still have a long way to go with this portrait but wanted to share its birthing with you.  The initial underpainting was done earlier this week (or was it last week?) and this will probably undergo many changes before it is complete.  Read back a few posts to see the underpainting.


I woke up this morning and the awning behind his head really wasn't working for me.  It looked more like a flag and that isn't the feeling I am going for so out came the palette knife almost before my breakfast and I began to change the background.  I still need to make changes to his face, eyes and beard and hopefully the painting will tell me where to go from there.  



I couldn't resist continuing on this painting.  It ended up being a blend of palette knife and brushwork.  It is finished for now.


No comments:

Post a Comment