Stat Counter

Saturday, September 22, 2018

Watercolor or Oil? Tough Choice

I started out as a watercolor artist and a few years later I added oils.  People ask which medium I prefer and I actually have a hard time deciding which one.  Some days, I'd think it was oils because I can easily go back in and change something mid stream.  Other days it is hands down watercolors.  I love the look of watercolor and my ability to put multiple, thin layers over and over to get just the right intensity of color.  Oh wait, I can do that with oils, too.  I love how easy the clean up with watercolors is.  Just wash my brushes out with soap and water and I'm ready for the next day.  Oh wait, with oils I can wipe my brushes clean, swish them through odorless mineral spirits (Gamsol) and then dip them in a waterless hand cleaner another artist told me about and let them sit and dry until the next day.  A quick swish through my Gamsol and I'm good to go.  So, you say, the ability to make corrections is much easier with oils.  Well, yes and no.  You can make adjustments with watercolors, too, by lifting or painting over with a more opaque color.  Hmmmm, I guess it's a toss up.  I love them both and will continue to paint with both mediums.  Oh wait, what about acrylics. Yep, you guess it.  I haven't met a medium that I didn't like.
Can you tell which is painted in oil and which in watercolor?  Both are framed without glass.


No comments:

Post a Comment